1. Readers are advised to use information available here as study guide only and use it at your own risk.
2. Please note that changes/ update based on updated information will be made from time to time, readers are advised to check on this page regularly.
3. Analysis was done based on available data at the time of this review being published.
1. We are not/related to financial outfit or invested by any financial related outfit. Thus, we don’t sell or recommend any financial products like mortgage loans, etc.
2. We are not/related to renovation/ interior contractor outfit or invested by any previously stated related outfit. Thus, we don’t sell or recommend any renovation/ interior design services/products like renovation packages, etc.
3. We are not/related to property outfit or invested by any property related outfit. Thus, we don’t sell or recommend any services or unit for property agent, agents or agencies, etc.
1. If we are related to financial/ insurance outfit, we will be biased towards units which can earn us higher commission from financial/ insurance outfit (usually a resale unit). We won’t be bothered about BTO as we won’t benefit from it and we will be biased towards you getting a resale unit instead, as that will benefit us via commission from financial/ insurance outfit or institutions.
2. If we are related to renovation/ interior contractor, our aim will be mainly to make sure you get a unit by ‘offering’ any sub-standard review (as long as it drives eyeball traffic) and eventually engage us to do the renovation work. We can’t be bothered if you get any good unit because the worst unit will reap more profit as you will need to fork out more to right the wrong. I.e. if you get a unit with most west sun exposure, your renovation work will have higher wear and tear and ultimately you will need to redo most of the interior few years down the road. We have observed many ill-informed decisions making (from going against BCA safety regulations to non-sensible design decisions) in the interior design work which we will share in the future.
3. HDB BTO units only sold by HDB to homeowners without needing a property agent or agencies in between. Not having any benefit in between will not give us motivation to provide accurate or beneficial advice to homeowners. The only motivation will be to drive traffic to our services via crowd sharing.
1. The issue of privacy
In the modern-day residential housing, mechanical vertical access (i.e. lifts) has become more important due to ease of movement vertically as the residential units grow larger in quantity. This has led to cost increment as lifts need to be maintained periodically based on estimated usage frequency. Therefore, to control the cost of lift numbers, developer will need to increase the lift ratio (meaning more units sharing 1 lift). When multiple units on a same level share a group of lifts (2 and above due to fire safety regulation for high-rise building), they’re bound to have few units clustered near or around the lift lobby. Usually there will be at least 2 end units located in this cluster. This end unit’s main door will open up to the corridor leading to the lift lobby or sometimes the lift lobby itself. There goes your privacy for having an end unit!
2. Stagnant air flow
Since you have chosen an end unit due to your ‘misconception’ of unit with privacy, you need to make do with having to close the main door most of the time as by then you would have realized that leaving the main door open will allow full view into your unit (on certain location). The adverse effect of leaving the main door close at all time will lead to stagnant/ reduced air flow or air exchange. Imagine every time you leave your dear home; you will feel a bit stuffy at the entrance and warmer than usual. This may not be what you are looking forward to start your day!
3. Additional west sun exposure
Many have since learned that the west sun does not just affect units facing West, North West or South West. The West sun also affects units facing North and South, the difference is the intensity as well as the frequency the exposure happens. Many would argue that if the units are at an angle off West, then the intensity would be much lower. The simple logic is that, the diameter of The Sun is up to 109 times the diameter of The Earth and you can fill in 1,300,000 planet Earths into The Sun. In absolute term, yes, but it’s just numbers to prove there’s a difference, but you will not feel it at all. On top of the main façade, sometimes there will be end units with gable end wall facing the Western Sun at different angles. This gable end wall which is the wall in the master bedroom separating the unit and the environment outside usually will be built as a cavity wall (air gap in between as a buffer to slow down heat intake) and solid RC column. The solid RC column will definitely transfer more heat through it than the cavity wall, but the cavity wall itself will also allow heat movement inwards with lesser intensity with longer time frame.
4. Dark entrance corridor
End units usually will be paired side by side with another similar unit. Most of the floor plates arrangement will lead to branching of units. This ‘branch’ which is the corridor will lead to a pair of units located side by side. The width or the length of the corridor as well as the height of the building will determine how dark the entrance corridor will be for these branch units. There will be artificial lights installed when the architects realised that the area is too dark for comfort. The fact is why would you want to explore that option if you know it even before you choose the unit?
Other than lift as vertical means of circulation, staircase have played the most important part of creating vertical housing. Then again, there’s only so many steps anyone can go up and down every day and as residential building being stacked higher, the staircase has become less important compare to lift. One of the reasons why we still have a staircase in our modern residential building is due to the needs of having an insurance policy (men of escape) during emergencies. The width of these staircase has been designed to accommodate the volume of residents using it during an emergency. Thus, the restriction on not having obstacles at all time at the staircases. As public housing is an open development which doesn’t come with perimeter fencing or security post, the staircase has become the weakest link in terms of security. Anyone at any time can access the staircase and this has become a security blind spot to homeowner who stay next to it.
All rights reserved. Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise), without the prior written permission of the copyright owner of this publication.